Thursday 9 August 2012

I've Eaten A Snail!

Today, whilst Mum's back was turned, I ate a snail.  Bit crunchy I must say, but I cracked it easily to Mum's complete horror.

I really didn't understand what was so wrong about eating a snail, but Mum did.

So concerned was she about lung worm, she immediately rang the Vets to make sure that my prescribed wormer protected against ANGIOSTRONGYLUS VASORUM.   That's the posh name for lung worm.

WHY THE CONCERN?

Well, this is a very nasty parasite which infect dogs and foxes in UK and Ireland.  It can prove fatal, no matter the age of the dog.

And that's why I'm blogging about this today.   If you, dear reader, are a dog owner, I strongly suggest you carry on reading and make time to click through to the various links I've included in this blog.

KEY FACTS

Larvae
Adult worms are found in the heart and pulmonary arteries of infected dogs and foxes.

The worms lay eggs which hatch into larvae and pass into the airways of the lung.

The larvae are then coughed up and swallowed, passing out in the dog's poop

Slugs and snails then swallow the larvae and pose a major threat to puppies and junior dogs simply because they are extremely inquisitive at this age.
Adult Lungworm

Frogs can also be part of the lungworm life cycle

Foxes are natural hosts for lungworm and are also responsible for the spread of the disease.

THE SYMPTOMS

When this lungworm gets inside a dog it can result in a number of quite different symptoms, some of which are easily confused with other illnesses.

The main symptoms are:

1. Breathing problems or coughing, tiring more easily

2. Poor blood clotting leading to excessive bleeding from minor wounds, nose bleeds, bleeding into the eye and paleness around the eyes and gums.

3. Behaviour changes, seizures, fits, spinal pain, weight loss, loss of appetite vomiting and diarrhoea

MUM DID THE RIGHT THING!

Mum acted very quickly, phoned our Vet and was reassured that the spot-on wormer they had given us protected against these nasties.   And here's the lesson.   Make sure that your doggie's worming schedule is adhered to at all cost!

In the meantime, Mum will be keeping a very close eye on me to see if I present any of the above symptoms, which I'm sure I won't!

I won't be eating them slimy things again even if they are served with garlic!


HP3

No comments:

Post a Comment