Wednesday 25 July 2012

Rub A Dub Dub

I've been playing hard this week and have got a bit dirty.   Mum's been giving me a lick over with a doggie wipe each day, but she's decided, seeing the weather's nice, to give me a mini bath.

Now, there's a few things you should know about doggie bathing.   Gone are the myths that bathing a dog once a year was the norm.  These old ideas did make sense in the days when the shampoo was harsh soap, dryers were nonexistent and the dogs talked about were outdoor dogs rather than household pets.

I'm 9 weeks old now!
I'm a household doggie and a close companion and you never know, Mum might allow me on the settee or the bed at some point, so it's important I'm bathed regularly.

Bath time is also a great opportunity for Mum to check my ears, but she does that every day anyway to make sure they are nice and clean and free of hair in my ear canals.

Before the bath, Mum will brush my coat to make sure there's nothing stuck in it.  When I'm older and in full coat, Mum will be 'line brushing' me meticulously.  Line brushing is a technique that ensures all of my long silky adult coat is matt free but for now, a good brush will suffice.  

I'm going to be shampoo'd in a lovely peppermint shampoo with built in conditioner which helps repel nasty biting insects.

If I'm going to get wet, then I'll make sure Mum gets very wet too!

Not too sure whether I'm really going to like this, but I'll tell you more tomorrow.



PS. If you'd like to know more about how to groom a Havanese, there's a brilliant book called "From Nose To Tail", by the Havanese Fanciers of Canada.  Click here for more info


HP3

No comments:

Post a Comment